From quaint St. Johns on Newfoundland’s east coast to cosmopolitan Vancouver in the west; the impressive Niagara falls in the south to the great expanse of the Yukon in the north: Canada’s vast and varied landscapes and experiences attract 21 million visitors each year, amongst them 6 million travelers from Europe.
Whether for business or pleasure, all Italian citizens will be required to apply for a Canada visa from Italy, and to be in possession thereof before entering the country.
Thankfully the Canadian government has undertaken to make the process much quicker and simpler with the introduction of the Electronic Travel Authorization, or ETA, which now constitutes the main tourist visa to Canada from Italy, and which can be applied for from home a minimum of 3 days before travel.
Applying for the ETA visa for Canada from Italy is as simple as completing an online application form and making an electronic payment. Approval takes three days or less, and once issued, the ETA visa is valid for 5 years of air travel to Canada.
Requirements for the Canada ETA from Italy
In order to apply for a Canada ETA from Italy, it is important to note the following Canadian eTA requirements:
- As this is a paperless visa linked to the traveler’s passport, only biometric Italian passports – designed to be read by electronic immigration machines at the border – are eligible for the ETA visa. The applicant’s passport should have a minimum of 6 months validity from the date of intended arrival in Canada in order to qualify for any category of visa
- The ETA is intended for travel by air only, and therefore is only valid for entry via one of Canada’s international airports. Travel via one of the land borders with the USA, or one of the country’s many seaports, will not be possible
- The intended purpose of your visit to Canada from Italy must be tourism, transit, business, or medical. The ETA is not valid for other purposes such as work, study, or retirement
- Only travelers over the age of 18 years may apply. Parents of minor children under the age of 18 may apply on their behalf.
How to Apply for an ETA Visa to Canada from Italy
Each ETA visa for Canada from Italy begins with completing an online application form. This takes a maximum of 30 minutes to complete, and will require details such as your name, date of birth and contact details. Your passport information and details about the intended purpose of your travel will also be required.
Once the online application form is complete, payment via credit or debit card is required in order to submit the application for processing.
On approval, a confirmation email will be sent to the address provided. This may take less than one hour, up to a maximum of 72 hours in some cases.
Once granted, the Canada ETA visa for Italians is valid for a period of 5 years, or until your passport expires, allowing for multiple airport entries during the visa period.
However, the maximum duration that an Italian citizen may stay in the country on one particular visit is 90 days. For stays of longer than 90 days, for example for purposes of work or study, a different category of visas will need to be applied for.
In summary, a complete list of requirements for the ETA tourist visa to Canada from Italy is as follows:
- A valid biometric passport, valid for a minimum of 6 months from the date of entry into Canada.
- An online application form including the traveler’s full name, date of birth, address, contact details, occupation, and employment particulars, in addition to the passport number, date of issue, and date of expiry
- Online payment via credit or debit card is required in order to process the application
- Email address in order to finalize the application and receive communication regarding its approval or otherwise.
All Italian citizens wishing to visit Canada are required to be in possession of a valid visa, no matter the intended purpose of their trip. The ETA visa to Canada from Italy makes the process quick, simple, and straightforward.
Provided you are traveling to Canada via air, and staying less than 90 days in a single visit, the ETA visa will allow for hassle-free travel for up to 5 years.