Canada is one of the most popular tourist destinations, and it’s no wonder why: as the second-largest country in the world, Canada is home to thousands of exciting activities, cities, things to do, dishes to try, and, of course, friendly locals.
You can enjoy a long weekend walking around Toronto, or spend a whole month hiking around Banff National Park, trying poutine, and stargazing in the Yukon.
However, before you can buy the next ticket from Dublin to Vancouver, don’t forget your Canadian visa! The process is quick and easy, and we’ll walk you through the requirements, how to apply, and more.
Do I need a visa for Canada from Ireland?
Yes, is important to note that all Irish passport holders are legally required to have a Canadian visa before they can enter the country. Over the past few years, Canada has simplified the process for obtaining a visa by introducing the Canadian electronic travel authorization program (simply known as the Canadian eTA, or the Canadian tourist visa).
The process for obtaining a visa for Canada from Ireland is quick, simple, and it is possible to apply from the comfort of your own home. That means no more waiting in line at the embassy, preparing mountains of paperwork, or having a one-on-one interview with a consulate employee.
Canadian ETA requirements for Irish Citizens
There are only a few Canadian visa requirements for Irish citizens, and most are very simple and easy to follow. They include the following:
- You must be arriving in Canada by air only (and not by a land border, such as from the United States) or by sea (such as a boat).
- Your passport must be an Irish e-passport (AKA a biometric passport). Since your Canadian eTA is virtually linked to your Irish passport, it is important that your passport be machine-readable.
- Your visit to Canada must fall under tourism, business, transit, or medical. Travelers can not legally apply for work with an eTA.
- Travelers must be over 18 to apply for the eTA. Otherwise, he or she will need the permission of their parent or guardian.
If you have met all of the above Canadian visa requirements, then you are eligible to continue to the next step, which is the online application.
Apply for an ETA Canada from Ireland
In order to get a visa for Canada in Ireland, applicants must start an online application. This can be done from the comfort of your own home and only requires a device with an internet connection (such as a computer) and a few minutes of your time.
The entire application process takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and the final decision will be sent to the applicant’s email address usually within one hour (although it may take more time due to demand). The Canadian eTA application will require you to have the following:
- A valid passport from Ireland – As stated above, every applicant must have a valid Irish passport in order to get a Canadian eTA visa. We recommend having at least 6 months of validity in the passport
- Personal information – While filling out the application, all applicants will need to provide information that pertains to themselves (first and last name, address, contact information), their Irish passport (serial number, expiration date, etc.), occupation and employment, and their travel itinerary
- Phone, tablet, or computer – In order to fill out the application, applicants will need to have a device with internet access, such as a phone, tablet, or computer
- A valid form of payment – Applicants will need to have a valid form of payment, such as a debit or credit card, to pay the eTA application fees
Please note that once you have your visa to travel to Canada from Ireland (the Canadian eTA) it is electronically linked to your passport. The Canadian eTA for Irish citizens is valid for five years, or until your passport expires (whichever comes first).
Likewise, the Canadian eTA is a multiple entry visa, which means that applicants are allowed to enter Canada as many times as they like as long as their visits are under 90 days in duration.
No matter if you’re visiting Canada for fun, for business, or just transitting through the country, it is important to have a visa before you can enter. We recommend applying for your visa at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance so that there is enough time to have it processed and ready.