In 2016 the Canadian government introduced the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization), a multiple-entry online visa waiver that allows eligible citizens to travel to Canada for a stay of up to 6 months with each entry to the country. Irish citizens are among the eligible nationalities able to apply for the eTA online.
The Canada eTA from Ireland can be applied for exclusively online, to receive an electronic visa waiver electronically linked to the traveler’s passport, eliminating the need to apply for a visa in person from an embassy or consulate.
On this page, travelers from Ireland will find all the information they need to meet the eTA for Canda requirements and submit an online application, which can be done in a matter of minutes.
Do I Need a Visa for Canada From Ireland?
All Irish passport holders are legally required to have a Canadian visa waiver or visa before they can enter the country. Over the past few years, Canada has simplified the process for obtaining a visa waiver by introducing the Canadian electronic travel authorization program (known as the Canadian eTA, or the Canadian tourist visa waiver).
The process for obtaining an eTA visa waiver for Canada from Ireland is quick and simple, and travelers can submit an application online from the comfort of their own home. This eliminates the need to prepare extensive paperwork and visit a Canadain diplomatic office to submit a visa application in person.
Canadian ETA Requirements for Irish Citizens
There are only a few Canadian visa requirements for Irish citizens, and most are very simple and easy to follow. They include the following:
- eTA holders must be arriving in Canada by air only (and not by a land border, such as from the United States) or by sea (such as on a cruise).
- The traveler’s passport must be an Irish e-passport (biometric passport). Since a Canadian eTA is electronically linked to the Irish passport, it is important that the passport be machine-readable.
- The visit to Canada must fall under tourism, business, transit, or medical purposes. Travelers can not legally apply for work with an eTA from Ireland.
- Travelers must be over 18 to apply for the eTA. Otherwise, he or she will need the permission of their parent or guardian.
Once applicants have met all of the above Canadian eTA requirements, they are eligible to continue to the next step, which is the online application.
The Canadian eTA for Irish citizens is valid for five years from the date of issue, or until the associated passport expires (whichever comes first).
Likewise, the Canadian eTA is a multiple entry visa waiver, which means that applicants are allowed to enter Canada as many times as they like as long as their visits are under 180 days in duration.
ETA Canada Application Form for Irish Passport Holders
In order to get an eTA visa waiver for Canada from Ireland, applicants must complete an online application. In order to apply, it is only necessary to have an electronic device such as a computer or mobile phone with an internet connection.
The entire application process takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and the final decision will be sent to the applicant’s email address.
It is necessary to have the following in order to submit an eTA application:
- A valid passport from Ireland – As stated above, every applicant must have a valid Irish passport in order to get a Canadian eTA visa waiver. It is recommended to have at least 6 months of validity in the passport
- Personal information – While filling out the application, all applicants need to provide some basic personal information (first and last name, address, contact information), details of their
- Irish passport (serial number, expiration date, etc.), occupation and employment, and their travel itinerary
- A valid form of payment – Applicants will need to have a valid form of payment, such as a debit or credit card, to pay the eTA application fees.
We recommend applying for the eTA for Irish citizens at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance of travel so that there is enough time to have it processed and ready.
However, Irish passport holders who urgently need an emergency eTA to travel to Canada are advised to select the rush processing option presented when paying the eTA fee. By choosing the urgent processing option, applicants are guaranteed that their travel authorization will be approved in under an hour and they will receive a response within the same window of time.
No matter if you’re visiting Canada from Ireland for leisure, business, or just transitting through the country, it is important to obtain an approved eTA visa waiver before you can enter.