All Greek citizens need a visa for Canada or a visa waiver in order to legally enter the country.
In 2016, the Canadian government introduced the eTA (electronic travel authorization) Canada online visa waiver for citizens of Greece which can be obtained through a simple application.
An approved Canada visa waiver from Greece is a multiple entry travel authorization that allows the holder to stay in Canada for up to 6 months with each airport entry to the country.
The Canada eTA for Greek citizens can be applied for online, to receive an approved travel authorization electronically linked to the traveler’s passport, eliminating the need to visit an embassy or consulate to submit a visa application.
Candian ETA Requirements for Greeks
There are a handful of Canada visa waiver requirements that Greek citizens must meet to apply for an eTA.
All of the following requirements must be met before Greek citizens can begin their application for a Canadian eTA:
- Travelers must be arriving in Canada by air only. If arriving by a land border, such as from the United States, or by sea (such as on a cruise), a Canadian visitor visa will be required.
- The Greek passport must be an e-passport (also known as an electronic passport or a biometric passport). The passport must be machine-readable, since your Canadian eTA visa is electronically stored on your passport.
- The visit to Canada must fall under the following purposes: tourism, business, transit, or medical. Travelers can not legally apply for work with a Canadian eTA – instead, they will need to apply for a work visa.
- Travelers must be over 18 to apply for the eTA. Otherwise, he or she will need the permission of their parent or guardian before they can do so.
Apply for an ETA for Greek Passport Holders
In order to apply for a tourist visa waiver for Canada from Greece, travelers will need to fill out an online application. However, before starting an application, it is important to note that you will need to gather a few pieces of paperwork and provide a few pieces of information.
We recommend gathering the following and keeping them close while filling out your application:
- A valid passport – All Greek citizens must have a valid biometric passport issued by the Greek government with at least 6 months’ validity, in order to get a Canadian eTA visa.
- Personal information – While filling out the application, all travelers will need to provide information about themselves such as their personal information (address, contact information), their occupation and employment, information about their passport, and their travel details
- A Phone, tablet, or computer – In order to fill out the application, travelers will need a device with internet access, such as a phone, tablet, or computer
- A valid form of payment – Finally, travelers will need a valid debit or credit card to pay the eTA application fees. Accepted payment options are Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Maestro, JCB, Diners Club, Discover, or UnionPay.
Please note that once your visa waiver to Canada (the Canadian eTA) is granted, it is electronically linked to the Greek passport that the traveler used when filling out the application. The tourist travel authorization to Canada (Canadian eTA) is valid for five years, or until the associated passport expires (whichever comes first).
Canada ETA Application From Greece
Once the application is filled out, paid for, and submitted, travelers will need to wait for the approval. In the majority of cases, travelers can expect to receive a decision within a few minutes, although some requests can take several days to process due to demand or other factors.
We recommend applying for your Canadian eTA visa at least a few days in advance so that there is enough time to have it processed and ready.
However, Greek citizens who need to travel to Canada unexpectedly within the next 24 hours are advised to select the urgent eTA processing option presented when paying the eTA fee. This rush processing option guarantees that the eTA will be processed and the applicant receives a response in under 60 minutes in most cases.
The Canadian eTA is a multiple entry visa waiver, which means that applicants are allowed to enter Canada as many times as they like as long as their visits are under 180 days in duration.
Whether you plan to visit Canada on a business trip, for medical treatment, or as a tourist, it is important to secure your eTA if traveling by air before you start your trip.
If you need another type of visa, you will have to go to the Canadian Embassy in Greece.