Canada is a popular country to visit for many Spanish citizens, and it’s not hard to see why.
With its impressive mountains, beautiful lakes, and vast open spaces, as well as vibrant cities, friendly people, and of course the imposing Niagara Falls on the border with the USA, Canada is high on many a traveler’s bucket list.
Do Spanish Citizens Need a Visa for Canada?
Yes – it’s important to note that all whether traveling for business or pleasure, all Spanish citizens will be required to apply for a Canada visa from Spain. This needs to be applied for ahead of time, and be valid when entering the country.
The process is, thankfully, a quick and simple one, as the Canadian government has introduced the Electronic Travel Authorization, or ETA, which is now main Canada visa for Spanish citizens.
The ETA can be applied for from home a minimum of 3 days before travel, and is valid for up to 5 years. Application is as simple as completing an online form and making an electronic payment.
Requirements for the Canada ETA Visa from Spain
There are, however, some points to note before applying for the Canada ETA visa.
- Tourist visa. The intended purpose of your visit to Canada must be tourism, transit, business, or medical. The ETA is not valid for other purposes such as work, study, or retirement.
- Biometric Spanish Passport. Only biometric Spanish passports may be used in the application of a Canadian ETA visa. This is a paperless visa, linked to the traveler’s passport and designed to be read by electronic immigration machines at the border. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the day of entry into Canada.
- Air travel only. The ETA visa is valid only for travel by air to Canada. Therefore if your intended port of entry is via one of the land borders with the USA, or one of the country’s many seaports, the ETA will not be valid.
- Minimum age requirement. All applicants must be at least 18 years of age in order to apply. Parents of children under the age of 18 may apply on their behalf.
- Maximum stay of 90 days. The maximum duration that a Spanish citizen may stay in the country on one particular visit is 90 days. For stays of longer than 90 days, a different category of visa will need to be applied for.
How to Apply for an ETA Visa from Spain
In order to apply for a Canada visa for a Spanish passport holder is a simple process that can be completed from home. All that is needed is a device with an internet connection, your personal and passport details, and a form on online payment.
An online eTA application form will need to be completed and submitted. This should take no longer than 30 minutes to complete, and requires details such as the traveler’s name, date of birth, address, and contact details, as well as the reason for travel.
Full passport details and an email address will also be required, and once the form is complete, an online payment via debit or credit card will confirm your application and begin the approval process.
Processing takes up to 3 business days, and once approved, the ETA visa will be linked to your biometric passport for ease of air travel into Canada for 5 years, or until your passport expires, whichever date is sooner.
An email will be sent to the address provided in your application, confirming the approval of your ETA visa.
The following is needed in order to apply:
- A valid biometric passport. Each applicant must be in possession of a biometric Spanish passport with a minimum of 6 months validity from the date of entry into Canada.
- Personal details. The traveler’s full name, date of birth, address, contact details, occupation, and employment particulars will be needed in addition to a passport number, date of issue, and date of expiry.
- A valid form of online payment. A credit or debit card will be required in order to make a payment via the application website’s online payment portal.
From the quaint French towns of Quebec like Montreal to the vast natural beauty of the Yukon, it’s not hard to see why Canada attracts millions of visitors each year.
However, every Spanish citizen wishing to visit the country will need to ensure that they are in possession of a valid visa before travel. With the Canadian ETA visa for Spanish citizens, the process will be quick and simple, and will allow for hassle-free air travel for up to 5 years.Apply for a Canadian eTA