Canada is on the top of most traveler’s bucket lists, and it is no surprise why: from the stunning blue lakes of Banff National Park, to the colorful streets and delicious foods of Vancouver city, to the appetizing wines and scenic wineries of Okanagan Valley, or the friendly locals who are sure to welcome you… and let’s not forget Niagara Falls!
Whatever your reason for visiting Canada, there is a city and an activity to go along with it.
However, it is important to note that Belgian travelers must have a visa before they can enter Canada.
Does a Belgian Citizen need a visa to travel to Canada?
Yes – please note that all Belgian citizens are required to have a valid visa before they can legally cross into Canada. Obtaining a transit visa for Belgium to Canada is simple and easy: the process can be done from the comfort of your own home and does not require a visit to an embassy. The application can be filled out in less than 30 minutes and results are almost instantaneous.
ETA Canada requirements for Belgian citizens
In order to get a visa for Canada from Belgium, there are a handful of requirements that you must pass before being eligible to apply. They include the following:
- You must be arriving only by air to Canada. This means that the eTA is not valid if you plan to cross through a land border, such as the United States, or by sea
- Your Belgian passport must be an electronic passport (also known as a biometric passport) that is machine-readable. This is because the Canadian eTA is electronically linked to your passport and must be readable by the border immigration’s machines.
- Your visit to Canada must fall under tourism, business, transit, or medical purposes.
- You must be 18 or older to apply for the Canada visa from Belgium. Otherwise, you will need to gain the permission of your parent or guardian.
Once these requirements have been fulfilled, you may apply for the Canada transit visa from Belgium. These are the following items and documents that you will need in order to do so:
- A valid Belgian passport – In order to get a Canadian eTA, all Belgian travelers must have a valid and current Belgian passport. We recommend having a passport with at least six months of validity.
- Personal information – While filling out the application, all travelers will need to provide information that pertains to their passport, personal information (address, contact information), employment, and travel details/itinerary
- A valid form of payment – Travelers will need a valid form of payment, such as a debit or credit card, to pay the eTA application fees
How to apply for a Canada visa from Belgium
The first step to applying for a Canadian visa is to fill out the Canada visa application from Belgium. The process takes less than 30 minutes to complete and can be done from the comfort of your own home.
On the application, you will be required to fill out a few pieces of information about yourself – this includes your full name, date of birth, contact details (such as your permanent home address and email), a brief history of employment, and your travel itinerary in Canada.
After the application is complete, you will need to pay the eTA fee and wait. Usually you can expect to receive a final decision within a few minutes, although some applications can take several days to process.
Once your Canadian electronic authorization is granted, it is automatically linked electronically to your passport. Your new Canadian eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first.
The 5-year validity means that you do not have to constantly reapply for the Canadian eTA, even if you plan to visit Canada multiple times. Please note that your Canadian eTA allows you to visit Canada as long as your travels are under 90 days in duration. If you plan to be in Canada for more than 90 days at a time, you will need to apply for a different visa.
Whether it is for fun, business, or medical reasons, Belgian citizens are required to have a visa to enter Canada. However, an easy application process and an almost-instant processing time make the Canadian eTAs one of the easiest electronic visas to obtain. We recommend applying for your Canadian visa at least three days (72 hours) in advance before entering Canada for a stress-free experience.Apply for a Canadian eTA