Belgian travelers planning to visit Canada are now able to obtain travel authorization for the country through a simple online visa waiver application.
The Canadian eTA for Belgian citizens was implemented in 2016 to allow travelers to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization exclusively online, without having to visit an embassy or consulate to submit an application in person.
An approved eTA for Canada from Belgium allows multiple entries to the country and is valid from a total of 5 years from issue, meaning there is no need to submit a new application before every trip.
Does a Belgian Citizen Need a Visa to Travel to Canada?
Yes, all Belgian citizens are required to have a valid eTA or visa before they can legally cross into Canada.
Belgian citizens who do not intend to spend more than 6 consecutive months in Canada are able to apply for an online visa waiver from Belgium through the ETA application process.
Obtaining an eTA visa waiver from Belgium to travel to Canada is simple and easy: the process can be done from the comfort of your own home and does not require a visit to an embassy. The application can be filled out in less than 30 minutes and results are almost instantaneous.
ETA Canada Requirements for Belgian Citizens
In order to get an eTA for Canada from Belgium, there are a handful of requirements that applicants must meet before being eligible to apply. They include the following:
- You must be arriving only by air to Canada. This means that the eTA is not valid if you plan to cross through a land border, such as the United States, or by sea
- Your Belgian passport must be an electronic passport (also known as a biometric passport) that is machine-readable. This is because the Canadian eTA is electronically linked to your passport and must be readable by the border immigration’s machines.
- Your visit to Canada must fall under tourism, business, transit, or medical purposes.
- You must be 18 or older to apply for the Canada eTA from Belgium. Otherwise, you will need to gain the permission of your parent or guardian.
Once these requirements have been met, you may apply for the Canada eTA from Belgium. The following items and documents are needed in order to do so:
- A valid Belgian passport – In order to get a Canadian eTA, all Belgian travelers must have a current Belgian passport with at least six months of validity.
- Personal information – While filling out the application, all travelers will need to provide information that pertains to their passport, personal information (address, contact information), employment history, and travel details/itinerary
- A valid form of payment – Travelers will need a valid form of payment, such as a debit or credit card, to pay the eTA application fees
How to Apply for a Canada Visa From Belgium
The first step to applying for a Canadian visa waiver from Belgium is to fill out the Canada eTA application from Belgium. The process takes less than 30 minutes to complete.
After the application is complete, it is necessary to pay the eTA fee before submitting the form. A final decision is usually made within a few minutes, although some applications may take a few days to process.
We recommend applying for your Canadian eTA at least three days (72 hours) in advance before entering Canada for a stress-free experience.
Nevertheless, Belgian citizens who need to urgently travel to Canada within 24 hours are advised to use the rush processing service available. By selecting ‘Urgent guaranteed processing in less than 1 hour’ when paying the eTA fee, applicants are able to have their travel authorization processed and receive a response in under 60 minutes.
Once a Canadian electronic authorization is approved it is automatically linked electronically to the traveler’s passport. The approved Canadian eTA is valid for five years or until the traveler’s passport expires – whichever comes first.
Please note that an approved Canadian eTA allows the traveler to visit Canada as long as the stay is under 180 days in duration. Belgian passport holders who intend to stay in Canada for more than 180 days at a time will need to apply for a visa from an embassy or consulate.eTA from Belgium