Thanks to a new initiative set forth by the Canadian government, there is an easier way to get travel authorization for Canada from Austria. Implemented in 2016, the eTA visa waiver for Austrian citizens is a multiple entry electronic travel authorization which allows stays of up to 6 months with each entry to Canada.
The online application for the Canadian visa waiver for Austrian Citizens is simple and can be completed in just a few minutes, to receive an approved eTA for Canada electronically linked to the applicant’s passport.
Do I need a visa to visit Canada from Austria?
All Austrian citizens who are planning to travel to Canada are required to have a valid visa waiver or visa before they can legally enter the country.
Austrian citizens planning to spend up to a maximum of 6 months in Canada are able to apply online for an electronic travel authorization through a simple form, to receive an approved eTA for Canada linked electronically to their passport.
Once approved, a tourist visa waiver for Canada from Austria is valid for a total of 5 years, and allows multiple entries during its validity.
eTA Canada requirements for Austrian citizens
In order to obtain a visa for Canada from Austria, travelers must keep a few requirements to obtain an electronic travel authorization for Canada. These include the following:
- Travelers who wish to obtain a Canadian eTA must be arriving in Canada by air only. They may not arrive by a land border, such as from the United States, or by sea border, by boat or on a cruise.
- The traveler’s passport must be an e-passport (also known as a biometric passport) and must be machine-readable. Austrian passports issued before June 2006 are not biometric and cannot be used to obtain a Canadian eTA.
- The traveler’s visit to Canada must fall under tourism, business, transit, or medical. Travelers can not legally apply for work with an eTA and must apply for another visa type.
- Travelers must be over 18 to apply for the eTA. Otherwise, he or she will need the permission of their parent or guardian.
Once the requirements mentioned above are met, travelers from Austria are able to apply online for the Canadian electronic visa waiver.
Canadian eTA application form for Austrian Citizens
If you are looking to get a tourist visa Canada from Austria, the first step is to start an online application. The application takes about 30 minutes to complete and will ask for the following pieces of information:
- A valid biometric passport – All travelers must have a valid Austrian passport, with at least 6 months’ validity, in order to get a Canadian eTA. As mentioned above, the Austrian passport must also be a biometric passport and must be machine-readable. This is due to the fact that the Canadian eTA is electronically linked to the passport and must be scanned by a machine at the border checkpoint in order to be checked.
- Personal information – The application will ask for a few pieces of personal information (such as your address, full name, and contact information), your occupation and employment, information about your passport (date of issue and expiry, passport number, etc.), and your travel details.
- Phone, tablet, or computer – In order to fill out the application, you will need a device with internet access, such as a phone, tablet, or computer.
- A valid form of payment – Finally, you will need a valid form of payment, such as a debit or credit card, to pay the eTA application fees.
After the application is ready, travelers will need to pay the eTA fee and wait. In most cases, travelers can expect to receive a decision within a few minutes, although some requests can take several days to process due to demand or other factors.
We recommend applying for your Canadian eTA at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance so that there is enough time to process it and have it properly linked to your passport.
Citizens of Austria who need to urgently obtain an eTA for Canada at short notice are advised to select the ‘Urgent guaranteed processing in less than 1 hour’ option when paying the eVisa fee. This rush processing service guarantees that the applicant’s eTA will be processed in under 60 minutes.
Once your Canadian electronic authorization is granted, it is automatically linked to the passport that you submitted during the application. The Canadian eTA is valid for five years or until the associated passport expires. That means that travelers do not have to constantly re-apply for the eTA, even if they plan to visit Canada multiple times.
Please note that the Canadian eTA may be used for multiple entries as long as they are under 90 days in duration.eTA from Austria