The eTA for Canada is available to citizens of 60 countries and territories. In order for eligible travelers to successfully apply for their Canadian eTA, they must first meet a series of requirements:
- Personal Details
- Passport details (Valid passport)
- Email address and Contact Details
- Residential Adress
- Debit or credit card
These requirements are essential to apply for the eTA Canada. It is extremely important that the passport is valid before starting the application process. The passport is the most accepted proof of citizenship at an international level, and without a valid passport, it is not possible to apply for an eTA to Canada.
Travelers eligible for the Canadian eTA must bear in mind that having a valid eTA is a mandatory requirement to enter the country by air. Most eTAs are processed within 24 hours, but those in a rush are now able to choose the urgent processing option to receive an approved eTA in around 1 hour.
ETA Canada Eligible Nationalities
Currently, there are 60 countries and territories under a visa exemption agreement with Canada. Instead of obtaining a visa at a consulate or embassy, nationals of these 60 countries and territories are eligible for the electronic travel authorization, eTA.
If eligible travelers meet the necessary requirements, they can easily obtain their Canadian eTA through an online application. They will need to provide some biographical details and their passport data. Below is the complete list of eTA Canada eligible countries.
- British Virgin Islands
- Falkland Islands
- Hong Kongers
- South Koreans
- New Zealanders
- Papua New Guineans
- Pitcairn Island
- St. Helena
- Solomon Islanders
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Vatican City
Other foreign nationals who need an eTA to travel to Canada
The following foreign nationals will need an eTA before boarding their flight to Canada as of March 15, 2016:
- Persons who have been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (United States Permanent Residents).
- Holder of a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See.
- Holder of a national Israeli passport.
- Holder of a passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
- Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas), as a person born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.
- Holder of a passport issued by the United Kingdom to a British Subject which contains the observation that the holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom.
- Holder of an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number of the individual. Note: Taiwanese citizens who hold a passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that does not include their personal identification number need a visa to come to Canada.
How Long Can You Stay in Canada With an Approved ETA?
The majority of Canada eTA holders are granted a maximum stay of six months in the country. Upon arrival, a border services officer will determine how long a traveler can stay in Canada. The time an eTA holder can stay in Canada will be indicated on the passport. The traveler should leave the country on the date specified by the immigration officials.
In the case that an eTA holder wishes to extend their stay in Canada, they can apply for an extension. The traveler will need to request this extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.
Canada entry requirements
When traveling to Canada, foreign visitors must always have proof of citizenship and identity. U.S. citizens can present a passport card or a NEXUS card to enter Canada. However, when traveling by air to Canada, all eligible travelers, including U.S. nationals, must have a valid passport and an approved eTA Canada visa waiver.
The Canadian eTA is electronically linked to the eTA holder’s passport. Therefore, when entering the country, the eTA holder must present the passport used on the Canadian eTA application.
When traveling by land or sea, it is not expected that travelers from eligible countries have an eTA. However, they will need acceptable travel documents and identification.