Does Green Card Holder Need to Apply for Canada ETA?

green-card golders applying for an eta

In order to visit Canada, all foreign citizens are required to obtain some type of travel document that will authorize them to travel to the country. Since 2016, visa exempt nationalities have been required to register for a Canada eTA online if traveling by air. The Canadian eTA determines the eligibility of people who wish to enter the country for tourism, business, or transit purposes.

Non-visa-exempt foreign citizens are required to obtain one of the Canada visa types in order to visit the country, depending on the length and purpose of their stay. However, citizens from visa exempt countries who are resident in the United States do not need to apply for a visa for Canada, and are instead required to obtain an electronic travel authorization to travel to Canada. Read on for a complete guide to applying for a Canadian ETA for Green Card holders for the United States.

Do US Green Card Holders Need an ETA for Canada?

Yes, US Green Card holders need an eTA for Canada if they are planning to fly to or transit through Canada, although it is not necessary for US residents to obtain an eTA for Canada if they are arriving by land or by sea. However, they will still be required to present their US Green Card and valid passport at Canadian border control in order to gain entry to the country.

Green card holders applying for an eTA are able to do so through a simple online application which only takes a few minutes to complete with personal, passport, and travel information. There is no need to visit a Canadian embassy or consulate to obtain an eTA, as the process is exclusively online and applicants receive an approved eTA electronically attached to their passport, as well as a copy sent to their email address.

An approved eTA Canada for Green Card holders is a multiple entry travel authorization which allows the holder to spend a maximum of six months in Canada with each entry to the country. It is valid for a total of 5 years from the date of approval or until the corresponding passport expires, meaning there is no need to apply for an eTA for each entry to Canada.

ETA Requirements for US Green Card Holders

In order to submit a Canada visa for US Green Card holders eTA form, applicants should first check the documents required to get a Canada tourist visa, which involve having a passport valid for at least 6 months from the expected date of arrival in Canada. Citizens with two passports due to dual nationality should take care to use the same passport to complete the eTA application for Green Card holders as that with which they intend to travel to Canada.

Residents in the United States will also need to provide proof of status in the US (their valid Green Card) in order to apply for the eTA, as well as:

  • A valid debit or credit card to pay the Canada eTA for Green Card holders fee
  • A current email address to which the eTA Canada for Green Card holders approval will be sent.

If the traveler’s passport expires during the period of validity of the Canadian ETA for Green Card holders, it will be necessary to submit a new application, as the eTA is electronically attached to an individual travel document.

Applying for a Canadian ETA for Green Card Holders

US Green Card holders need to complete the eTA form for Canada with basic personal information, including:

  • Full name
  • Occupation
  • Nationality
  • Passport number
  • Passport issue/expiry date

It is also necessary to answer a series of security questions, including about the applicant’s criminal history. Those applying for a Canadian eTA with a criminal record may be refused an electronic travel authorization and may instead need to apply for a Canadian visitor visa from an embassy or consulate.

Once the eTA form for Green Card holders has been submitted, applicants can expect to receive approval in as little as 20 minutes, although in some cases this may take up to 24 hours. Upon arrival in Canada with an approved eTA, the traveler may also be asked to convince an immigration officer of the following in order to guarantee entry to the country:

  • They have sufficient funds to cover the costs of the entire stay in Canada
  • They have sufficient ties in their home country, such as a job, home, family, or financial assets
  • They will leave Canada at the end of their visit.
Apply for eTA